Friday, March 6, 2009

Putting a little vector in my life


I recently acquired Adobe Illustrator to use for a bunch of projects that I want desperately to start/complete/love/cherish/show the world/become famous for...etc. It's all been a part of this whole "new page" that I have begun, where I quit my job to spend more time doing what I love rather than being miserable of every day in my young life (which means gaming, blogging, reading, drawing, sewing, cooking, working out, traveling). I essentially want to purchase one o' dem fancy Tablet things and spend hours on end designing T-Shirts for Threadless. However, before I can do so, I need to learn the basics of the program.

You see, I am a Paint Shop Pro gal. I know, I know, but it was a very simple program in my eyes, and I was very easily able to make banners and blends and do a bit of dolling. And by "a bit" I mean it is all I did most days. Of course, I was a freshman in highschool and didn't really have big-girl responsibilities yet. I could pixel entire outfits with shading and so forth, and it didn't matter if it was a vector because it wasn't a professional gig and I certainly wouldn't be resizing anything. However, with the projects I have to make now, I need to be able to rely on the fact that I will only have 8-individual colors, and not have any little shadey-stragglers hanging around when I resize or save.


My initial play-time with it was frustrating, but I made it work. I used it to make my header on this here blog. It turned out okay, but I know for a fact that I could have made it better with a bit more practice. That just means spending a lot of time with tutorials and youtube demos until I can at least figure out the fill bucket. So here I go, breaking my comfort zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment