Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Gnomes aren't all you'll find in gardens


Okay, so, PixelJunk Eden is easily the one of the most addictive game I have played thus far in my twenty years of existence. I mean, I thought Oblivion and Bioshock had me hooked, but I have easily spent more time on this game my first day than I did for either of those. I asked Jake, "How exactly can I describe PixelJunk Eden, to which he said, "You pretty much can't, but it might make an entertaining read if you tried." So I'll give it my best shot:

In this game, you play as a Grimp, which to me looks like a shrimp. You begin in Garden 1, which consists of five little heart-like things called Spectra. In the first stage, you jump around on little swirly things, collecting pollen to release more swirlies and some flowers. You continue to swing and bounce around, keeping an eye on the time, until you collect the first Spectra. In the second stage, you begin the same, except when you re-collect your first Spectra, you are merely given more time to then find the second one. Third level is the same, and so on, and so forth until the fifth stage is complete. Other Gardens appear as you progress through the game, each one different while still holding 5 Spectra.

I don't particularly enjoy puzzle games. Jake has been trying to get me to play Braid for six months, but I just can't do it. PixelJunk Eden, however, had me hooked instantly. I definitely recommend spending the $10 it takes to download on the PS3. There's also an "Encore Pack" for $6 coming out in April. I could say more, but I need to go beat the second garden :)

No comments:

Post a Comment