Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Movies? But you've been in France!



Oui, I have, but you seem to forget that 9 hour plane rides are perfect occasions to catch up on the movies you didn't get the chance to see in everyday life.

Australia
I had heard a lot of mixed things about the film Australia starring Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman. I have loved me some Hugh ever since I saw Darren Aronofsky's The Fountain opening night in 2006. I am absolutely in love with that movie, and The Conquistador became my ideal love story beau. He was the "Noah" to me that all girls swoon over from The Notebook. I was really hoping I'd enjoy this movie, and it's safe to say it didn't disappoint me.
Aside from Hugh Jackman's extreme masculinity as Mr. Drover, his Australian accent is enough to make my knees turn to Jell-o. I haven't seen such a well-defined torso since King Leonidas. The story itself had some slow points, and I was very disappointed in the ending...until I discovered that it was not the ending at all! It was incredibly confusing, and I am not sure if the scene was intended to be so. As a whole, it is not in my "big leagues" for favorite movies, but I would say it definitely warrants a watch. This was also the first time I have actually found Nicole Kidman to be attractive. When the hell did she get absolutely perfect teeth? Jealous!

Bedtime Stories
I am not an enormous Adam Sandler fan. I do like Billy Maddison, and 50 Firsts Dates, but beyond that I don't really find him that amusing. However, Bedtime Stories was both adorable and incredibly entertaining. I thought that Sandler did a very good job, as did the creator of Bugsy, the Guinea pig, because he clearly made the movie.

Yes, Man
As with Adam Sandler, I don't really like Jim Carrey. The only movie I enjoy from him (that I can recall, anyways) is The Mask. I have wanted to see Truman Show, but haven't had the opportunity to. Yes, Man is one of those stupid movies you watch to kill time, or if you are in the mood for something obnoxious. I would say it is just about as ridiculous as being forced to attend a pre-teen slumber party and be the one to bring the ice cream. Though there were two parts that I did find myself laughing out loud at, I am pleased that it wasn't a movie I had to pay for. So if you are in an odd mood, and don't fancy yourself the effort of playing truth or dare or braiding hair while telling stories about your crush...Yes, Man is a great alternative.

1 comment:

  1. Jim Carrey's best movie of all time is Man on the Moon. He plays Andy Kaufman, who is pretty much my idol. Watch that and it will change what you think of Jim Carrey.

    ReplyDelete