Thursday, April 30, 2009

Thursday Tea, how have I never found you?

Thursday Tea was a little thing brought to you by BirdBrain(ed) Book Blog and my inspiration was drawn from Jupiter Sinclair. Here is the schpeal:

Tell us what tea you are drinking (and if you like it). And then tell us what book are you reading (and if you like it). Finally, tell us if they go together.

Awesome, right? I have been wanting to blog about my tea experiences for awhile, and I have also been reading an absolutely br00tal book, so here we go! Anyone who wishes to join in, PLEASE feel free to either reply via comment with your book/tea or even just give me the url to the entry you put it in on your own blog. I love to learn about stuff like this.



A couple weeks ago Jake and I discovered one of our favorite places in the world. It is an amazing little tea bar on Congress St in Portland, ME called Home Grown Tea. It is run by Sarah, an infectiously enthusiast herbalist who mixes, brews, and serves the teas to you herself. The atmosphere is relaxing and medicinal, as well as the teas themselves. I have been a big fan of her Teacher's Pet blend, but am also excited to try her other specials. Sarah also sells her blends on her fabulously constructed website (it continues to surprise me how beautiful it is) and I recommend any tea enthusiast to purchase some. Each tea is explained and is offered either in a 6oz satchel or as 20 tea bags. You should really pay her a visit, you will not be disappointed.

I have been reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith.

An expanded edition of the beloved Jane Austen novel featuring all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie mayhem. As our story opens, a mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton—and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy. What ensues is a delightful comedy of manners with plenty of civilized sparring between the two young lovers—and even more violent sparring on the blood-soaked battlefield as Elizabeth wages war against hordes of flesh-eating undead. Can she vanquish the spawn of Satan? And overcome the social prejudices of the class-conscious landed gentry? Complete with romance, heartbreak, swordfights, cannibalism, and thousands of rotting corpses, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies transforms a masterpiece of world literature into something you'd actually want to read.


I will admit, it was a bit slow for me at first, but after the first 50 or so pages I could not put it down. The story constantly gives me urges to speak of the "impropriety" of things and how "vexed" someone has made me. I do resist to avoid looking like an absolute tool, but Pride and Prejudice and Zombies pulls me into the story as I haven't been in awhile. And I strongly believe that any Jane Austen satire must be accompanied by a great cup of tea.

3 comments:

  1. I still need to read that book. Especially before his next one comes out.

    "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" *Squee*

    ReplyDelete
  2. i MUST try that tea now! And the books has be on my To read Pile for a while now so I guess I should get to it.

    Also, re your comment on my blog? I am notoriously slow at many things and I don't have the excuse of being new at it heehee ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey! Thanks for reviewing Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - I'm glad you were able to fully enjoy it after all! I'm with Quirk Books, the publisher, and I wanted to let you know that we're going to be announcing our newest title in the Quirk Classic series on July 15. The new classic lit / monster mash-up has been top secret, but we'll be revealing it to Quirk Classics Facebook fans at midnight on the 15th. Or you can always go to QuirkClassics.com to find out more.

    Thanks again and happy reading! Maybe our next title will make it onto your reading list.

    ReplyDelete