Tuesday, May 5, 2009

HTC G1 vs HTC Magic

It's been a bit of time since I posted about something that wasn't either travel or food related, so I think I might have to give into my nerdy side just a little. I was getting dressed this morning, and overheard Jake watching a review of the HTC Magic. I sighed, pretending to be annoyed, until I realized that I actually wanted to know more about the product myself. I would like to think that I wouldn't drop another $200 on a phone to replace my still very solid HTC G1, but who knows? I was already very quick to abandon my LG Chocolate 3 with Verizon at the first thought of having a smartphone of my own. So, although I really hope not to become a smartphone groupy...we shall see.

Now, I obviously have not had a chance to look at the HTC Magic myself, seeing as I am a mere pheasant in the wonderful world of technological poultry. However, I do own a G1 so it's pretty easy for me to tell you what the Magic has that G1 does not. Let's start of with the basics. HTC's G1 is an Android based phone (I admit I was hesitant at first because I have an enormous fear of robots...just the name "android" gives me the queezies) with a qwerty keyboard, extensive app store, three home screens, web browsing capabilities, music player, a camera, aaand well..a ton more. Let's just say that the Magic has these very same features...just a bit more advanced.


Rather than having the keyboard slide out, the keyboard on the Magic is touch screen. This makes me a bit hesitant, for I have yet to find a touch screen keyboard that accomodates my ginormously oversized sausage fingers. The G1 is actually the only mobile qwerty device I have used that gives me zero difficulty whatsoever. The only real advantage to the removal of the sliding keyboard is that it makes the phone significantly thinner. The camera is also upgraded to a 3.2 megapixel video camera. That's right, boys and girls, HTC is on the bandwagon of video recording! It has always confused me that while I have been sending video messages for YEARS with my dinky old LG phones, iPhone and G1 users have been complaining about no development on the topic. The technology is obviously there, I guess maybe it just wasn't as much a priority to them?


Another difference in the two, along with the removal of the keyboard, is the removal of the matte finish on the back of the phone. I have never really had an issue with the matte finish on the G1 (unlike my hatred for the texture of the Nintendo DSi). It doesn't really matter to me either way, because all I really care about it protecting the screen from scratches. The most important difference to me so far is the battery life. The G1 is pretty much a battery whore. I love it to pieces, but I cannot deny it's vice. I have heard rumors that the Magic is supposed to conserve more battery than it's predecessor, but have not seen/heard confirmation on the topic. Overall, I am really impressed with the possibility of this new Android phone. If it manages to get released in the US, I would definitely have to play with it for awhile before making a decision. Though I will say if Google happens to bribe G1 users by offering a trade-in discount (doubtful.) I wouldn't hate it XD

No comments:

Post a Comment