Tuesday, May 26, 2009

It is physically impossible for me to NOT post about this

I woke up this morning compelled to watch a little Buffy the Vampire Slayer. As I mentioned in my Thursday Tea a couple weeks ago, I am a hardcore BTVS/Joss fangirl. I went to the NY Comic Con this past year just to watch Joss Whedon talk about Dollhouse (have the 1/1,000,000 chance in meeting him) and to meet Amber Benson. I'm still kind of angry at Joss about the way the Season 8 comics are going, or at least as far as I have gone in them, but overall I think he is brilliant and I cannot get enough of BTVS no matter the form.


Or so I thought. Coincidence kicked in, and all throughout my Twitter feed were mentions of Buffy and a possible relaunch. I really don't know what to make of it.

Buffy" creator Joss Whedon isn't involved and it's not set up at a studio,
but Roy Lee and Doug Davison of Vertigo Entertainment are working with
original movie director Fran Rubel Kuzui and her husband, Kaz Kuzui,
on what is being labeled a remake or relaunch, but not a sequel or prequel.

While Whedon is the person most associated with "Buffy," Kuzui and her Kuzui
Enterprises have held onto the rights since the beginning, when she discovered
the "Buffy" script from then-unknown Whedon. She developed the script while her husband
put together the financing to make the 1992 movie, which was released by Fox.

This whole thing makes just about as much sense as riding a humpback whale through Afghanistan on the 4th of July. I understand remakes are huge these days, but this seems to be far too scatterbrained. The Kuzui's said that they were excited for Buffy to be taken in a new direction which would mean it's not a remake. If it's not a sequel, and not a prequel...but not particularly a remake...what the hell is it? They are taking the reputation of something with an enormous cult following, writing in some "IDK MY BFF JILL?" slapping some Zac Effron haircut on it and calling it Buffy.

The last sentence may seem a bit uncalled for, but considering the cast options for Buffy Summers I think not:
1) Megan Fox- Buffy is not a brunette...not in movie, not in tv, not in comics.
2) Kristen Stewart- I know nothing of her performance in Twilight, but in my mind Bella and Buffy cannot be the same person...it's blasphemy
3) Jessica Stroup- May be the only one I'm mildly okay with. I have never seen her acting, but visually she could pull off some blonde hair and call this her big break
4) Amanda Seyfried- No, no, no, no, no.
5) Teresa Palmer- Why not just get Paris Hilton? They look like freakin' twins


I would LOVE for Joss devotees to see this movie and be comfortable with it, but I doubt it so very much. Mostly because of people like this who post on the comments section, and make me cringe with their idiocy and ignorance of the Whedonverse:

BUFYFAN comments:
May 26, 2009
why are JOSH WHEATON fans so racist against the kuzuis? and closed-minded? these are not the values josh communicated in his shows. give it a chance guys.

Well, "BUFYFAN" you may want to learn how to spell the first name of the character you are such a fan of. Next, there are no fans of Josh Wheaton, and I'm almost positive the Kuzuis are not their own race of human. So yeah, get off your iphone and pay attention to English class you dope. It is unbelievable how many people claim to be BTVS fans and have no idea who Joss Whedon even is. It is those people that make me afraid of this movie...the people who will claim to be #1 fans of Buffy and have no idea the Kristy Swanson movie ever existed, nor will they recognize the brilliance of Jane Espenson and Marti Noxon who took part in some of the very best episodes. It's just such a shame to me.


1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately though what's probably going to happen is they're going to try and do what was done to the TMNT. They will try and make it "fresh" and new and all they'll end up doing is losing what made the source material so great, its soul.

    ReplyDelete