Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I rock the macaroni art

Since I spend a lot of time at work shucking oysters, I came to the conclusion that if someone were artsy enough, they could save all the top shells and make something beautiful. "Why not me?!" I asked, because I have always wanted to have ANY kind of artistic talent. In fact, that's why I decided to begin cooking...it was the only kind of art that I didn't suck at. But that never stopped me from trying. I took pottery, drawing, and painting classes all throughout my childhood and never made anything that looked like it wasn't made by a four year old. So I decided to give this a try.

I heavily cleaned the shells before using a screwdriver and hammer to make holes in each one. Of course, I'm kind of a big pansy so I roped my roommate into helping me with a few (it took me 1/2 hr to do 3 shells...took him 1/2 hr to do the remaining 15). Then I got to painting. I used some hemp twine and glass beads to make them into necklaces, and have been trying to sell them in my Etsy shop. I have been making little accessory bags to go with them, but I'm thinking big honky jewelry is just not in this season.




I think in the competition between aspiring artsy fashionista and super ice cream mad scientist, I'll stick with my safety goggles and evil laugh. Although I have been working on a clockwork shopping bag for a couple weeks (simply because I have no time), and it is turning out rather well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment