Monday, June 1, 2009

Small puppy, giant treats!

Trying to train Zoey means that we go through a lot of treats. Which are expensive. I set out today looking for recipes to make my own dog treats, and figured it would be relatively simple. FALSE! There were ingredients I wouldn't have just lying around the apartment like wheat germ, cornmeal, chicken bouillon. I'm a relatively intelligent young lass, I should be capable of creating my own recipe! I immediately decided to nix the sugar, chemical leaveners, and cornmeal because I didn't think they were essential to the overall quality of the treat. Do dogs really prefer a soft cookie over a crisp one? I'm not so sure they care. After looking over the average ratios of wet/dry ingredients, I began my experiment.

This test kitchen session was more successful than my ice cream, for it only took one try to get it down. This is the recipe I ended up with:
1 1/3 c. King Arthur Whole Wheat 100% Wheat Germ Flour (unbromated flour FTW)
1 c. Quick Oats
1 ea. Eggs
1/3 c. Canola oil
1/2 c. Fruit juice (I chose Blueberry B Odwalla [low sugar & lotsa vitamins])

Preheat oven to 325* and grease a cookie sheet. Combine all ingredients and stir until just moistened. Scoop dough about 1 tablespoon in size, and form flat squares (or roll with more flour and shape with cookie cutter). Place on cookie sheet and bake approx 20 min. Makes 2 1/2 dozen treats.

I tried one myself, since essentially they were just whole wheat cookies, and they weren't all that bad! Would have had better flavor if I had added a teaspoon or so of salt, but they weren't for me anyways. Zoey loves them so I think that means mission accomplished!

2 comments:

  1. My dog always enjoyed treats containing carob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had thought about adding those...like making it a play off "chocolate covered blueberries." I was upset, though, because I had just thrown out my carob chips a week before. I used to put them in chocolate chip cookies since I can't have chocolate.

    ReplyDelete