Friday, July 17, 2009

Little Big Planet of Grape Sorbet

Grape Sorbet With Melon and Ginger on Foodista
Not so firm grape sorbet 07/17/09

Tuesday night I felt the serious urge to be productive. Not the same sense of productivity that I bombard myself with everyday, but to productively chill out. I decided to start with making some grape sorbet. In my never-ending quest to manipulate ice creams, I decided to substitute water with grape juice, and (again) use agave nectar in place of simple syrup and trimoline.

I started off by cooking down 2 1/2 pounds of red grapes in 1 cup of white grape juice. I let it cook until the grapes were very mushy, and the contents of the pot were mostly just juices. I then strained the grapes from the juice and let it chill in the refrigerator.

While my grapesplosion was cooling, I loaded up Little Big Planet in the PS3. I have played a couple of times with Jake, but never played through the game by myself. I started at the very beginning, and really enjoyed how they turned the tutorial into an actual part of the game. I feel like it's a new-age Mario where collecting all the stickers and stuff is important, but doesn't necessarily impact the outcome. In that same respect, I enjoy how you play through the level and follow a map. One thing that continues to frustrate me is moving through the different planes. Would you call them planes? You can move closer and further from the screen, making it possible to access different aspects of the level and find different items. I just have trouble switching to and from particular planes for some reason. I think it would be fun to play some of the online levels again, but overall I really like playing through the game, itself. I think that with a lot of newer games, people focus so much on the online/multiplayer aspects that they forget that there is a good game to begin with.

After completing three levels, I added 1 teaspoon of red wine and 1/2 cup agave nectar. After spinning and freezing it overnight, it still wasn't firm enough. I think that I added too much sugar, so in the future I'm going to reduce the agave to 1/4 cup instead. Or maybe I'll just add some water to balance it. I have yet to decide, but I still have plenty of time to continue my experiments :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelly, what a fun blog.First time I came across a blog that talks about games and food! Really cool!I'd love to guide our readers to your site if you won't mind.Just add your choice of foodista widget to this post and it's all set to go, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete