Sunday, January 24, 2010

I came, I saw, I cruised

Three nights, two work shifts, and an airplane ride from now I will be in Disney World. I know, right?! I get to spend three full days in Disney with ALL my meals taken care of, the freedom to go in every park, and I get to do it all with my best friend. How lucky is this chick?!

BUT WAIT. THERE'S MORE. Once I have finished hurling up my insides from riding the Tower of Terror for 72 straight hours, I get to board the Disney Magic for a 7-day Caribbean cruise. I am so excited for this that I am practically inside out. No, that's a lie...and actually kind of gross...but I am tremendously excited. While I am gone, I plan on experimenting with some iPhone blogging apps to keep family and friends posted on how much fun I'm having in the warm weather, being waited on hand and foot, and strolling the beautiful Caribbean beaches with my toes in the sand....Ah, it will be the life. My inner compulsive traveler will be briefly satisfied before I get hungry for yet another adventure. Anyways, there are quite a few apps that I think sound good, but I think I have to find the (free, obviously) one that works best for me.

Wordpress is clearly one of the first ones to come to most minds. It's a simple way to blog and it comes with geotagging (which I personally find hilarious because they claim to have it but state that it's not yet "human-readable"...what the hell else would I want to read about my location? A parakeet? No). The problem? Well.....if you haven't noticed...this is a Blogspot blog. A lot of people keeeeep trying to get me to make the switch but I just can't handle Wordpress, I'm sorry. I'm trying, though. I've even been working on a little side project to debut this fall if I don't get into a deathly fencing match with our dear pal Wordpress. Overall, I think the Wordpress app is convenient and manageable, but does not make me any more comfortable with the host itself.

TypePad and Tumblr also have blogging apps but we run into the very basic problem of "I don't want to use your blogging service, kind sirs/ma'ams." The only app I have been able to find to cater to Blogger bloggers such as myself is Shozu. It's this beautiful (so I've read), mythical creature that somehow allows you to take care of your Blogspot, Flickr, Youtube, Twitter, child's trust fund, cure for global warming, pocket protecting...you get my drift. The catch? $4.99. Sorry, no go.

I think what I am going to end up doing is debuting the Wordpress blog a bit early. You see, it's going to be a blog dedicated just to my travels...I'm weird and I kind of want my travel life to be separate from my nerdy/foodie life which I like separate from by science/lab geek life...so I created Veni, Vidi, Edi (I came, I saw, I ate) as a place to talk about where I am, where I am going, and the food and culture that surround those two previous stated locations. I suppose that a Caribbean adventure is as good a time as any to premier such a blog, so if you'd like to follow along on those journeys just check it out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment