For those wondering how the Fondant Cake came out...it has been completed!
I have a feeling it's not going to taste too good...the cake pretty much refused to let me finish my crumb coat of icing and just kept crumbling so the inside didn't turn out exactly how I wanted...but at least the outside didn't turn out too shabby! I had to steer away from the polka dots on the bottom layer because I couldn't get the shades to match...the butterflies were already a super pain in the butt. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it :)
I had one hell of a time with the fondant, I won't lie. During my fake cake expedition, I didn't have a lot of trouble...but maaaaaan was this a journey. I foolishly tried to replace butter with canola oil when following a buttercream fondant recipe. The fondant was an oil slick and wouldn't even stick together. When I went back to the grocery store to pick up more supplies it was closed!! At 7:30PM!!! I had to get up early this morning in order to complete the project, and this time decided to go with a marshmallow fondant. MUCH better, might I add, than any other kind of fondant I have made. It was so much easier to make and easy to work with. This has definitely been a learning experience, but mostly I just hope that Izzy has a great 1st birthday, and that her party guests enjoy the cake :)