1. Have you applied for your passport?
2. Have you booked your plane ticket?
3. Have you contacted your cell phone company to find out about international rates/suspending your line while you are away?
4. Do you have your foreign currency/traveler's cheques/credit card ready to go? (Make sure that if you are taking a credit card you inform your bank that you will be using it internationally so they don't freeze your account!)
5. Have you started packing?
I made a helpful little packing list- please keep in mind this is for longterm trips..if you are planning a shorter trip adjust the quantities. Also, I doubt that this has everything on it that you will want to bring, but sometimes it's easier to have a list in front of you to help with the basics! If you would like a copy of this packing list please email firstname.lastname@example.org and I will send you the file (mostly because I cannot figure out how to upload a .pdf to blogger!)
If you are able to say "yes" to all of the questions above, sit tight! Otherwise, get started on those five things, and then we can get you going on some good stuff!