Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Get your Rapture on

Today I was reading the latest Game Informer to get the scoop on Bioshock 2. I haven't finished the first one yet, but I still wanted to know if I had legitimate reason to be excited for the release of the next Bioshock game. Let's start off by saying that I was given a LOT of false information prior to reading the article. For example:

1. Bioshock 2 is NOT a prequel. It takes place 10 years after the first Bioshock. You play as a Big Daddy rather than as Jack. What did confuse me, though, is that you are playing as "the first" Big Daddy. I don't particularly understand how it's possible that the first Big Daddy ever created survived both Raptures. Maybe it is the first one since the return to Rapture? Anybody with additional information to clarify, please feel free to comment.
2. Big Sister is actually one of the former little sisters that got away. She came back to Rapture after all was said and done, and will be kicking some serious ass.
3. The skinny looking creature on the cover of the magazine (and just about on every promo ever) is NOT the character you play as. The slender automaton is actually Big Sister, herself.

As for the plot of the game, itself, I have to admit that I am a little skeptical. It could be because I have no idea how it could get any better than the first story, but I think it has more to do with the actual gameplay and difficulty. In my opinion, the gameplay of the original Bioshock is simply incredible. My overall skill has increased so much in playing it, that I can't really believe it. I used to use my pistol all willy-nilly, shooting til I was lucky enough to hit my target, but now I can take down a Splicer in one shot...AND from a long ways away! The other great thing about it is that I am playing as a genetically messed up person fighting other equally disfigured folk and it kind of levels the playing field a bit. In Bioshock 2, I can only imagine that fighting Splicers would feel too simple, while battles with Big Sister would be like trying to perfectly julienne an onion with a paper clip: not impossible, but far from easy. Although I am very excited to see what this potentially life-consuming sequel will bring to the table, I don't plan on getting my hopes up.

No comments:

Post a Comment