Thursday, April 2, 2009

Since when do I talk about movies?




Pretty much since now. My past two days have consisted of mostly nothing, so I spent a bit of time catching up on some new releases, and forming some opinions.

Slumdog Millionaire: Movie of the year 2008, right? Why? I understand that it was a good movie, but in all honestly that was it. I will admit that it was creative (as creative as a "based off the novel" movie can be) and the acting was pretty great, but I am still not considering it to be a life-changing cinematic experience. If you think that this movie changed your view of the world, I highly suggest viewing Children of Men (2007) because it is my favorite movie of all time. I am disappointed that Slumdog beat out Curious Case of Benjamin Button as movie of the year, but we can't win 'em all, right?

Seven Pounds: I tread lightly on the subject of this movie because I did not finish it. I heard a lot of hype regarding the plot, and was very careful not to look at the synopsis or spoilers as to not ruin the mystery that is Seven Pounds. However, it just got to the point where I was sick and tired of being bored. I eventually just didn't care to find out why things were happening because it would not bring back the 2 hours I had already lost to this film. I will definitely give it a second chance, but I just could not hack it this time.

Marley & Me: I am not the stereotypical "awwww puppies!" kind of girl. I'm usually a lot happier throwing corpses at Splicers or murdering the town crier, but I found myself crying on a few occasions during the Aniston/Wilson flick Marley & Me. It was cute, realistic, and best of all funny. The movie was more than just silly things dogs do, it was more so the tale of a couple's life with a four-legged side story. I am glad that I gave this one a chance.

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist: I am fairly convinced that these types of movies are the John Hughes films of my generation, and Michael Cera is our Emilio. Juno, Superbad, Zack and Miri, and Nick and Norah all belong to this list, in my opinion. They all have the subtle love-story and mild drama paired with hilarious one-liners and an indie feel. Like with Hughes' films (and those like his), I think that a lot of these types of movies will become cult classics. I would have to say that out of all the films I have watched these past two days, Nick and Norah was my favorite.


I understand that jumping headfirst into such a popular and opinionated subject like movies is possibly the least sensible route to be taking in this blog. The thing is, though, that I just like to contribute my views to the ever-growing clusterfuck that is the internet.

1 comment:

  1. I think you should write about whatever you want. You made me interested in the last 2 movies at least :-)

    Incidentally, every time I come to your blog I suddenly want Eggs Benedict...

    ReplyDelete